Medical sheepskin is a particular type of sheepskin that is selected and processed to provide pressure care for people at risk of developing pressure ulcers or bedsores. The Australian Standard AS4480.1 outlines the specific requirements for medical sheepskin products, including their use in pressure care.
Here are some key points about using AS4480.1 medical sheepskin for pressure care:
- Pressure relief: Medical sheepskins are selected and tanned to provide pressure relief by distributing pressure evenly over the surface of the sheepskin. An Ozwool Australian AS4480.1 Medical Sheepskin can help to reduce the risk of pressure ulcers and bedsores.
- Moisture management: Medical sheepskin naturally can manage moisture, helping to keep the skin dry and reduce the risk of skin breakdown.
- Quality standards: To meet the requirements of the Australian Standard of Medical Sheepskin ( AS4480.1), medical sheepskin must meet strict quality standards for both the sheepskin itself and the tanning process used to treat it.
- Maintenance: Proper maintenance is essential to ensure that medical sheepskin remains effective for pressure care. Care includes regular cleaning and disinfecting, as well as monitoring the condition of the sheepskin to ensure it remains in good condition.
- Other considerations: It’s important to note that medical sheepskin is just one component of a comprehensive pressure care plan. Other measures, such as repositioning, pressure redistribution surfaces, and skin care, may also be necessary to prevent pressure ulcers and bedsores.
- Are they 100% Australian Tanned
AS4480.1 medical sheepskin can be an effective tool for pressure care in certain situations. Of the three styles of Medical Sheepskins we have here at Ozwool sheepskins, the Natural Coloured Australian Tanned As4480.1 is the best for pressure care.
Pressure Sore prevention is your number 1 concern
If you or a loved one are at risk of developing pressure ulcers or bedsores, speak to a healthcare professional about whether medical sheepskin might be an appropriate part of your care plan. For people confined to a Bed or chair for long periods of time, pressure ulcer prevention should be the number one issue. Pressure Sore or bed sore treatment is something that takes time, with it taking months to recover from in many cases. Prevention of pressure sores is the best method of treatment. Start early with your prevention and they will not become an issue or concern. Delay prevention can become a problem or worse.
The complications of bedsores
There are various pressure sore stages, with the first one being redness. This is your warning that something is wrong. Prevention of pressure ulcers is the best treatment, early treatment and care are the next best option. If you leave it too late surgery may be the only option left.